WELCOME TO COME TOGETHER WIDOWS AND OPRHANS INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION, Many widows and their children suffer greatly in Kenya due to a variety of factors including:
- Misinformed religious beliefs
- Tribal beliefs and customs
As a result widows and their children:
- Become victims of mental, physical and sexual abuse including rape.
- May have to undergo customary ‘cleansing’ rituals including being forced to have unprotected sex.
- Are looked on with hatred and suspicion and are considered evil and to be bringing bad luck.
- Can be systematically tortured and attacked (to the point of murder)
- Are forced to commit degrading acts, like eating human flesh, having sex with thedead body.
- Are accused of murdering the husband.
- Are robbed of any inheritance and/or land and personal belongings..
- Maybe separated and the children taken away by the husbands extended family.
In addition to the above a widow may:
- Have all her hair shaved off, jewellery stolen and be forced to wear black for the rest of her life.
- Not be allowed ever to remarry, or may be forced to remarry someone not of her choosing.
- Be stopped from attending important ceremonies including the marriage or burial of her own children.
- May be left destitute and have to resort to prostitution.
- Consider committing suicide to end their hardship.